Saturday, January 18, 2003

What the fuck is with TNN?

When the network went from Country music Hillbilly shows to an USA Network clone it had lofty goals.
"Everything POP,"was their slogan.
I still don't what that means. Neither did anyone else.
Despite good ratings, TNN, with most of the same programming changed into a channel for "anything about pop culture."

Now in a sign of executives desperately trying to save and justify their jobs, TNN is now the channel for men. Just like Lifetime is a channel for woman. Ahhhhhhhh! I see! What lazy crap.

I'm not so much offended but tired of the interpretation of what "Guy TV" is. Apparently we just like to look at T &A. Just because it's true with me, doesn't mean every guy feels that way. I'm looking out for the other guys who watch TV.

One of TNN's new shows is "Striperella." A super hero cartoon by Stan Lee about a stripper who fights crime. Pamela Anderson is the voice of the hero. This is sickening. You'd think someone would jump up and say "This is terrible. This is desperate!" I mean, does Stan Lee, the inventor of Spier-man and Pam Anderson need the money that badly? What did Stan spend all his comic book money on? Was Stanlee.com such a failure?

In a move that baffles me, they're showing reruns of "Blind Date." The new episodes run in syndication and can be on at any number of times. Most often it's between 5 - 8 PM and/or after 11 PM. Some markets show it 3 times a day.

Now TNN is show the original episodes at 5:30 and 6:30. they can go up against the new episodes. They are competing against the channels that are paying very high fees to show air the show.
So? So the show is pretty much the same. It's not like a sitcom where the newer shows has an older fatter version of the original cast plus a new cute kid. This dating show, is pretty much the same.

FX was going down the same route. After a couple of misfires, FX changed their focus to programing for men. They put on a Howard Stern sitcom, a show hosted by a hot babe, and lots of action films from the 80's.

When "The Shield" came on the air and they got actual ratings, FX changed again. They became the low budget, commercial TV copy of HBO. FX is like Showtime with ads.

FX jumped right in and fired their old staff. You know the people that got them "The Shield" in the first place. Then they brought in over paid dinosaurs to carry the torch that was lit by the same people that were now packing their boxes.*

I love "The Shield." Apparently advertisers pulled out. FX claims that better advertisers came on board. I don't know about that. The only ads I see are for a local BBQ place and lumber yard. I've seen bigger advertisers in the penny saver.

I think I might advertise my garage sale on the hit Emmy winning show.

Speaking of garage sales, TNN should buy someof FX's male programming. I'm sure they can get "Son of the Beach" reruns for a song.


* This is not the opinion of The Media Yenta. This is only hearsay and might not be totally true. It's in fact the opinion of Bill Jacobs. So sue him. I'm not standing by anything.

No comments: